Crafted - our blog
Happy New Year! You've no doubt been bombarded with messages of "new year, new you", fitness tips, food tips and other ways to maintain your New Year's Resolutions. I thought we'd focus on a few self-care tips this month, as we all recover from a busy holiday season and maybe need a little help hitting re-set (weekly, monthly, whenever!).
I wanted to share my love for dry brushing with you as part of of Beauty Rituals as Resolutions! It's something that I'll go weeks without doing - when I'm in a rush and down to the bare minimum self care routine. Recently though, I started adding this into my routine again and I sure am glad I did.
Why dry brushing? Dry body brushing is a star at shedding dead skin cells while encouraging cell renewal. That means smoother and brighter skin! It can also help your skin absorb whatever treatments you apply after your dry brushing sesh (like The Elixir). It's perfect for exfoliating dry, winter skin and can also also detox by increasing blood circulation and promoting lymph flow/drainage.
I don't have a specific brush recommendation (you can spend $20 or less), but the one you choose should have a long handle for hard to reach spots and natural bristles.
There are a couple of approaches that you can take and really it's a personal preference - 1) Shower first, then dry brush with a little oil on the brush or 2) Dry brush first, then shower and layer with other treatments. My choice is the latter!
Start from your feet and ankles and work your way upward in long, sweeping strokes on arms and legs. Use circular motions on torso and back. Go light on the pressure on sensitive areas.
Once you've brushed from toes to shoulders, hop in the shower. I like to layer treatments, so I use Salty Bum or Body By Joe in the shower - both will maximize the exfoliation process that was started with dry brushing. Both scrubs also feature a super-hydrating blend of seven plant-based oils to restore moisture.
After the shower, apply a healthy dose of The Elixir from toes to shoulders. You can choose from the blends we have created (French Riviera or Sanremo Summer) or you can order a custom blend with your chosen essential and fragrance oils.
Never brush over skin that is broken, which includes cuts, scrapes, lesions, sores or burned skin, including sunburns. Don’t ever brush over areas of infection, redness or general irritation or inflammation. Stop using if skin becomes irritated or inflamed.
Want to customize your self-care in 2019? Drop us a line for a virtual workshop sesh! firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay tuned for tips on healthy scalp and hair rituals! Happy dry brushing!
We've been busy little bees the past few weeks at CCB! We brought the DIY experience to the Bloom Summit, The Self Love Workshop with Sandsisters LA, The House of Ambition with Savoir Collab/Lean In Los Angeles and the Entity Mag Love Yourself Summit.
This weekend we are bringing the DIY bar to Beautycon LA! Our friends at PureWow and Blink Beauty (produced by Harmonie Krieger of Pop Your Shop) invited us to be a part of the talent lounge at Beautycon where we'll be creating custom rollerball blends! The Beautycon LA menu was created under a theme of "Choose your Chill" and we created essential blends for the guests to choose from including Recover, Refresh, Center, Escape and Energize. Stay tuned for more pictures from the event!
As a celebration of our recent events, we're offering summer workshops for $50 off (2 hour DIY bar minimum or $200 workshop minimum). Choose from our Beautycon exclusive menu, host a citrus-themed DIY bar or work with us to create a theme just for your event! Learn more about our workshops and DIY bars here.
We always remind our guests and potential guests that we do not represent network marketing or MLM (multi-level marketing) brands. We source all oils ourselves and develop our recipes and workshop concepts based on our own R&D!
Happy weekend - and for many, happy summer kickoff! Today I launched the DIY beauty bar "Summer Edition" - new recipes on the workshop menu that would make a great girls' day, store event or event activity. In the meantime, I wanted to celebrate the weekend by sharing with you a super simple sugar scrub recipe to ease you into a summer of self-care! This is an awesome and easy BFF or mother/daughter activity for a weekend or summer afternoon.
For this scrub recipe, I created a very simplified version of the Salty Bum formula by just using sugar and grapeseed oil. This combo is an excellent exfoliating treatment for the body. Grapeseed oil is rich in essential fatty acids, antioxidants (vitamins A, C, E) to moisturize and condition.
If you love DIY-ing but would rather someone else gather the ingredients, shoot me a note! I can customize DIY beauty bar packages that ship nationwide for parties of (most) any size. And if you love the thought of small batch and handcrafted but aren't a DIY-er, then you can shop the collection!
Hi, loves. As you've noticed by now, we are undergoing a small makeover here! While change can sometimes be challenging, we've decided to fully embrace this journey and take the opportunity to evolve all the things you loved about hush beauty labs.
What's behind the change? Fair question. A few months ago, we discovered a very similar name and logo pop-up on the market. Obviously this was cause for concern and we took initial steps to address; however, after much (so much!) soul searching, we decided to spend our energy and resources on refreshing the brand instead of going down a potentially long legal road.
We brainstormed for days from sun up to sun down to find the perfect name that embraced our heritage as a born-in-LA brand, our wanderlust inspo and most importantly, our love and obsession for makin' stuff! Friends, family and market partners all weighed in on the name options and we landed finally on Costa Craft Beauty Co.
Our essence remains and our formulas will not change! We also continue to develop and grow our workshops and DIY offerings so that we can all craft together. Stay tuned for updates and thank you for joining us on this continued journey.
Sarah and the Costa Craft Beauty Co. Team
We're excited about all of the events we have on the books for holiday! What began not long ago as an idea for a couple of products and maybe a workshop or two has really blossomed over the past few months and we're thankful for all of the early fans of our crazy ideas.
Last Thursday, we installed our shop-in-shop at Handcrafted LA - a store in downtown LA committed to offering goods made in LA so you can shop local year-round! We'll be there for the month of November, with workshop sessions twice per week (check our event page for updates).
On Black Friday, we'll be at Athleta in El Segundo (11 AM to 1 PM) with a pop-up DIY beauty bar. Our scrub and oil recipes will be centered around self-care and recovery, perfect blends for a post-workout chill sesh.
Perhaps the biggest update is our collaboration with Unique LA for the December 2 & 3rd Holiday Market! We'll be offering DIY beauty workshops throughout both days of the event where you can create your own body oil or body scrub. While you're there, shop our limited edition candlemaking kits - these will make amazing holiday gifts!
Later in December (date TBA), we'll be popping up at JCrew in El Segundo - pre-wrapped gifts and DIY kits for all of your last minute holiday shopping. Stay tuned for dates!
If you're looking for a fun, unique and 'grammable activity for your office, store or studio, let's chat! For the holidays, we can do either a DIY workshop or a gift cart pop-up. Book soon!
Cheers and happy fall!
What does self care look like to you? It's become quite a buzz phrase as of late. Does it make you think of kale and steamed broccoli and yoga retreats? Articles and images blast our social media feeds, each one claiming to be more expert than the next in managing our wellbeing (Never eat this! Always eat this! Detox! Retox! Connect! Disconnect!). It's enough to make one's head spin.
Self care - to me, and to hush as our part of our core values - has meant taking little steps, building small rituals, carving out a few minutes daily and balancing the "always" and "never". I thought I would take a moment today to share some bite-sized tips that work for me and maybe there is something here that you can work into your life as well!
Tip: Pick 3-5 from the list per day (not all of us have instagrammer wellness careers, right?) 3-5 is totally manageable and a good starting place.
- Drink water with lemon when you wake up. This is an oldie but goodie! Helps with digestion, gives a little immune system boost, cleanses your system and boosts your energy. A great foundation for the day!
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier than your usual time. I like to use this time to make my coffee, play on social media and generally just zone out before my day gets going.
- Make a green juice! My fave (and easy) recipe for the Nutribullet:
- 2 C water
- 1 handful kale
- 1 handful spinach
- 4-5 pineapple slices
- 1 t Beauty Dust (I love a good adaptogen! www.moonjuiceshop.com)
- 1 t Maca
- 1 t chia or flax seeds
- Add a side of fruit to your morning green drink and perhaps a small yogurt or egg (more towards the latter if I'm having breakfast after a morning workout). I like to front-load my days with healthy foods just in case things go off the rails later on!
- 10-15 minutes of yoga, regardless of what other workout I have planned for the day. Whether it's first thing in the morning or a bedtime routine at night, it serves as a little meditative time as well. When I do this in the morning, I set a small but positive intention for the day ahead.
- Send one positive email or message out to someone first thing in the morning. We all have enough critics; be the light and share something positive.
- Dry brushing! It helps exfoliate and detoxify. Try it before your morning shower and get a full how-to here www.shape.com
- Replace one afternoon coffee or diet coke with a green tea. Loaded with antioxidants, green tea helps boost your metabolism.
- Sip on a turmeric tea or golden milk at night as part of your bedtime routine. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, can help prevent muscle soreness and helps fight bloat and indigestion. I make it easy on myself by just blending a few spoonfuls of Gaia's Golden Milk powder with a little almond milk in my nutribullet and microwaving for a minute.
- Work a 10 minute walk into your day. Even a little movement during the day can go a long way in reaching your wellness goals. I like to meditate during my walks and set my intention for the latter part of the day.
- Hygge it out! Hygge is the Danish word for coziness. My hubby and I set aside our Friday evenings to be home together. We've created a ritual that generally involves indulging in a delicious charcuterie plate, having a glass or two of wine and just "being". It's something we both look forward to all week and involves no LA traffic, no parking garage, no reservation and very little thought.
- Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil to your shower for an instant steam shower experience! While I'm spoiled with my Equinox membership, half the time I'm only going there for the Eucalyptus towels and the steam room. It's easy and quick to do this at home and is amazing after a workout or long day.
- 2-3 intense workouts a week is good for mind, body and soul! You don't have to spend hours in the gym every day to look and feel great. I look forward to giving it 110% during my 2-3 sessions a week and reserve the other days for yoga or less intense workouts.
- Create a bedtime ritual with one of our balms or the elixir. I keep both on my nightstand and apply to my feet, elbows, hands, and split ends. If the next day is a shampoo day, I run a little extra through my hair to reap the benefits of the multi-oil blends that nourish and hydrate. I've found that I need less and less major conditioning events when I take the time to do this for my hair a few times a week.
So...as you see, self care doesn't have to involve major life changes or sweeping generalizations about what you should and shouldn't be doing. Take little steps. Create small rituals. Take care of you.
...to delight! With our clarity of mission comes a small manifesto that we think you might dig. Our little brand has evolved so much from the initial concept and as it continues to do so, we found it helpful to formalize what we are all about. Enjoy!
Our beauty secrets are your beauty secrets! Crafted and curated in L.A., hush beauty labs is a small batch beauty collection and DIY workshop series that celebrates the world's best beauty secrets, rituals and indulgences.